Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Anyone up for chinese?

Man I wish I'd taken pictures of this one...

Kind of a made up but based on a recipe form of sweet and sour chicken. It's delicous!!! I got the idea from my cousin-in-law Melissa's food blog. She linked her recipe to allrecipes.com Sweet and Sour Chicken.

Now for the newly improved healthier version from the Bell Kitchen...

Even though it sounded amazing in the original recipe I really didn't want the calorie content. SO I came up with a yummy alternernative of breading and deep frying the chicken-

Light(er) Sweet and Sour Chicken

Sauce
In a saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups water, 3/4 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar, reserved pineapple juice from an 8 oz can of pinapple chunks, and 2 drops orange food coloring (or 1 red and 1 yellow). Heat to boiling. Turn off heat. Combine 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1/4 cup water; slowly stir into saucepan. Continue stirring until mixture thickens.

The Rest..
Chicken Breast as desired - one 1/2 breast fed both of us one meal - Cut into bite size peices, season with salt, pepper, and whatever; and saute in a small amount of oil until browned on all sides and no longer pink.

Veggies as desired - I used a variety of sweet peppers, red onion, fresh garlic and carrots. Add to chicken after chicken is almost ready and saute for 1 to 2 minutes until veggies are a little tender. Also add Pinapple chunks from the 8 oz can.

Rice - I just used white long grain and let it cook for 20 minutes while preparing the rest

Serve rice with chicken/veggie mixture on top, then pour sauce over all as desired. I think you could also mix the sauce and chicken mixture together beforehand as well, but I felt it was healthier and more controlled to just pour what I wanted on top, then mix.

This tasted just as good and better as in the restraunt, and I didn't even miss the breading!! I love that you can change this around easily for number of people and veggies or meat you feel like that night. I'm sure the sauce would save for a little while in the fridge for leftovers too.

Anybody got a good egg roll or spring roll recipe to go along with this dinner??

1 comment: