Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mom's Mac & Cheese

If you haven't had home-made mac and cheese then this is something you really need to try!!!
My mom gave me this basic recipe. I don't measure anything anymore-I just eyeball it. You can change it up many different ways by adding seasonings or veggies or meat or change the cheese or type of pasta. I always love making "the basic" though myself. It's also easy to memorize because of all the "2"s.

2 cups (dry) Macaroni
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
salt & pepper to taste

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, Preheat oven to 350. Grease a casserole dish. Use one with a lid or have some tin foil ready. Make a rue by melting the butter (medium heat) in a large pan (with sides) and add the flour and mix together. Let cook a minute or two until the flour taste has a chance to cook out. Add the milk and reduce heat some. Stir frequently. After mixture is thickened add most of the cheese and stir until melted. Season to taste. When macaroni is ready strain out the water and add pasta to cheese mixture. Mix together well and pour into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Top with lid or foil and put in the oven. Let bake for about 20-25 minutes, then remove lid. Bake another 10 minutes or so or until cheese on top is melted/browned. Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes.

Like I said-I don't measure anything. I think I use more cheese and usually a little more flour and butter. I also don't always bake the whole time since my husband is usually getting inpatient at that point and he usually won't wait for it to cool either.

This can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge. Baking time needs to be adjusted in that case. (maybe 45 minutes to an hour?). Also makes great leftovers. Heats up nicely in the microwave.

Hope you enjoy! Please share if you have any great variations!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy!!!! I might have to try this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to use this exact recipe, but have modified mine a bit and think the modifications are pleasing to the taste buds. Dice one small onion and cook with butter. Once done add flour and 1/4 tsp mustard powder, then add milk. I also use 3 cups of cheese and have found sharp cheese and parm make a really zippy mac and cheese--I mix all of them in my roue. I also discovered these yummy bacon bits at sams (they are real and come in a bag). I usually top the mac and cheese with some bacon bits. We love having this. Oh, this is Marybeth, no julie (I am at home and have hijacked her computer).

    ReplyDelete