Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sausage Manicotti

This is from my new taste of home cookbook. I made it for easter and it was great. We had a garden salad and some french bread on the side.

Sausage Manicotti
PREP: 15 min. BAKE: 65 min.

1 pound bulk pork sausage
2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
1 Package (8 ounces) manicotti shells
1 jar (26 ounces) Italian Baking sauce
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzerella cheese

1. In a large bowl, combine uncooked sausage and cottage cheese. Stuff into uncooked manicotti shells. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Top with baking sauce.

2. Cover and bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes

3. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Yield: 7 servings

My Personal Additions:
* I added some Parmesan cheese and some extra mozzarella to the sausage and cottage cheese mixture
* I also added some seasoning-like parsley, basil, and garlic powder to the mixture
* I couldn't find "baking sauce" so I used pasta sauce and it was good.
* Since the shells were uncooked they were easy to stuff. I used a butter knife. I read a rubber baby spoon works really well too.

3 comments:

  1. mmmm.....sounds delightful, I bet I would have loved it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this tonight. It was good and really easy since you didn't have to cook anything first. A keeper for sure, will definitely make this again.

    ReplyDelete